Videos on the Web
- Aerial & Satellite Installers- from: Youtube Search
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organisation Communicating with people outside the organisation, representing the organisation to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Documenting/Recording Information Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- Repairing and Maintaining Electronic Equipment Servicing, repairing, calibrating, regulating, fine-tuning, or testing machines, devices, and equipment that operate primarily on the basis of electrical or electronic (not mechanical) principles.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analysing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Operating Vehicles, Mechanised Devices, or Equipment Running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles or mechanised equipment, such as forklifts, passenger vehicles, aircraft, or water craft.
- Interacting With Computers Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
An installation engineer usually reaches the best position for an aerial or dish by using ladders. They then test for signal availability using a meter.
After installing the aerial, other activities include routing feeder cables and fitting cable to the receiving equipment, which includes televisions, videos, radio tuners and set-top boxes used with satellite and digital television. On complex installations the engineer may work from detailed plans.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Note differences in wire and cable colors so that work can be performed correctly.
- Test circuits and components of malfunctioning telecommunications equipment to isolate sources of malfunctions, using test meters, circuit diagrams, polarity probes, and other hand tools.
- Test repaired, newly installed, or updated equipment to ensure that it functions properly and conforms to specifications, using test equipment and observation.
- Drive crew trucks to and from work areas.
- Inspect equipment on a regular basis to ensure proper functioning.
- Repair or replace faulty equipment such as defective and damaged telephones, wires, switching system components, and associated equipment.
- Remove and remake connections to change circuit layouts, following work orders or diagrams.
- Demonstrate equipment to customers and explain how it is to be used, and respond to any inquiries or complaints.
- Analyse test readings, computer printouts, and trouble reports to determine equipment repair needs and required repair methods.
- Adjust or modify equipment to enhance equipment performance or to respond to customer requests.
Qualities - Aerial & Satellite Installers
You will need a good head for heights and the ability to work on ladders. You should also have a reasonable level of physical fitness.
You will need basic number skills to carry out simple signal level calculations and to work out job costs. You will need a friendly, polite manner to deal with the public.
More senior positions may require a full, clean driving licence.
Interests - Aerial & Satellite Installers
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Realists are usually interested in 'things' - such as buildings, mechanics, equipment, tools, electronics etc. Their primary focus is dealing with these - as in building, fixing, operating or designing them. Involvement in these areas leads to high manual skills, or a fine aptitude for practical design - as found in the various forms of engineering.
Realists like to find practical solutions to problems using tools, technology and skilled work. Realists usually prefer to be active in their work environment, often do most of their work alone, and enjoy taking decisive action with a minimum amount of discussion and paperwork.
The Investigative person will usually find a particular area of science to be of interest. They are inclined toward intellectual and analytical activities and enjoy observation and theory. They may prefer thought to action, and enjoy the challenge of solving problems with sophiscticated technology. These types prefer mentally stimulating environments and often pay close attention to developments in their chosen field.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
Entry - Aerial & Satellite Installers
Pay & Salary - Aerial & Satellite Installers
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - k
Start: Minimum Wage 17.5k
Last Updated: March, 2014
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
View Salary information from Indeed.ie
Note: data not aways available